Recent Posts

Thursday, October 29, 2009

If I Could Blog Back Time Thursday - Favorite TV Show As A Kid

Come join me for this week's edition. Post yours Thursday and comeback and sign up with MckLinky.
This Thursday's topic is: Favorite TV Show As A Kid -
What was your favorite Television Show when you were a kid? Describe it. Why did you like it?
Was there something about it that you related to, or something that you longed for?
For details on how you can submit a topic, and if used, earn 100 Entrecard Credits, click here.
My favorite show was Leave It To Beaver. It's probably a lot of 40/50-somethings favorite because they longed to have that 1950's classic family. I pretty much had that anyway. My Mother was a stay at home Mom, except for one failed attempt to try working when my Father was laid up with one of his back surgeries. (She worked one day at a nursing home and she cried the whole way home. The conditions were horrible and she just couldn't bear to go back.)

True, my Mom didn't wear pearls and high heals to do housework, but she was always home, keeping the house clean and making home cooked meals. She greeted us at the door when we got home from school and had a homemade snack. She always had a kind word and made our friends welcome, just like June did.

My Father didn't wear a suit to the office. He wore work pants and a short sleeve shirt. He worked in a factory. I think all of the dads in our neighborhood were either factory workers or retail managers. One was in the Army, an aircraft maintenance worker who worked at the airport. He wore green fatigues every day. I always kind of wanted my Father to be like Ward. To wear a suit and work in an office every day. That seemed like a really cool job.

I liked the lessons taught in each episode. I always wish my Father would have doled out discipline and advice the way Ward did. Ward was so perfect, so parental, so moral. He always had an answer, and it was always the right answer.

Of course real life isn't scripted. We don't know the problem, solution and conclusion in the beginning like in a script. I still enjoy the show. My kids enjoy it too, though I'm not sure they understand what the cultural significance was of this show that first aired October 4, 1957 and aired in reruns in the late 60's and continue today. Back when it first aired very few women were in the workforce. The economy was stable and 1 income households were the norm. I think today that's almost inconceivable.

Please post your "Favorite TV Show As A Kid." post on your blog. Then come back to Lola's Diner and leave the actual post link here. Please grab the html code for If I Could Blog Back Time Thursdays! Badge HERE.

Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends!

IF YOU SEE THAT MckLinky APPEARS TO NOT BE WORKING, PLEASE POST A LINK TO YOUR "FAVORITE TV SHOW AS A KID" IN THE COMMENTS TO MAKE SURE WE ARE AWARE OF YOUR PARTICIPATION. THANK YOU!

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MckLinky IS STRICTLY FOR 'IF I COULD BLOG BACK TIME THURSDAYS' PARTICIPANTS ONLY.
ANY OTHER LINKS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT PREJUDICE!

Lola's Diner
©2008-2009

3 comments:

Auntie E said...

I honestly do not remember watching TV much as a child. Dad worked at the Television station..I remember Bozo the Clown, Rin Tin Tin and Lassie They were favorite when we watched. We had a small B&W TV. We watch a little bit however we most played outdoors and indoor with toys, dinner, bath and bed to rise for school and on the weekends the chores,played and Mostly stayed busy. It was not like today, TV all the time..times were very different indeed.

StaceyC4 said...

I guess I watched a lot of TV as a kid but I don't think that I had a favorite. I was in to the variety shows like Carol Burnett, Donny and Marie, and Sonny and Cher. I can remember watching All in the Family with my grandparents!

Good memories!

Lin said...

I didn't watch that as much, but I did love "Father Knows Best" for the same reasons you listed. There was just some comfort there when I tuned in. Maybe it was because my dad died when I was very young, because I found it nice to watch. From there, I was a HUGE Patridge Family and Brady Bunch fan!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©