As my office Christmas party approaches, which I am dreading by the way, it made me think of this post back from 2008. I dread it because I've heard there are going to be "games". Now I googled "Christmas Office Party Games", and that made me even more dread it.
One of the replies to one of my Christmas traditions posts made me realize that posting these has helped me reminisce and is really helping me get into the Christmas spirit. I hope it’s giving you all a chance to get into the Christmas spirit too!
Today’s questions is:
What was the best Christmas party you ever either attended or hosted?
And yes, I’d love to hear your drunken office party stories too. Lol!
I have to cheat and share 2 Christmas party stories. Hey, it’s my blog and I can do what I want.
The best Christmas party I ever hosted bk (before kids) was a potluck “theme” party. The theme was childhood favorites. I think this was the best idea for a party I ever had, and the most successful party I hosted. My contribution to the party was a baked ham, homemade split pea soup and homemade apple pie. One guest made the most delicious, incredibly fattening, wonderful, homemade Macaroni and Cheese. The most notable contribution though was Fluffernutter Sandwiches. I thought these things were nasty sweet, but in terms of following the theme, they were definitely the winner.
The best Christmas party ak (after kids) was the year of my son’s first Christmas, my daughter was 1 ½ years old. First a little history on that year’s Christmas. I was living in Chicago at the time and decided to bundle up both kids and head to Marshall Fields on State Street to visit Santa. First off, I don’t know what the hell I was thinking. Dragging two little ones on your own all the way downtown isn’t the greatest of plans, but I was determined to have their pictures taken with Marshall Fields' Santa. Thankfully the line wasn’t very long and we made our way up to Santa and the Elf photographer fairly quickly. Finally it was our turn. My daughter was first. Santa didn’t even bother to chat, the elf parked her on his knee and went back and snapped the picture. No "and what do you want for Christmas" or "have you been a good little girl". Same thing with my son, park him on Santa's lap, shoot the picture. No coochie coo, no waving a stuffed animal to get his attention, just snap, grab him off Santa’s lap and pass him back to me.
When I got the photo packages I ordered I was furious at having spent a ridiculous sum of money for crappy, hastily snapped photos. It was not the 'memory' I expected after having plunking down that much hard earned cash. After we got home the more I thought about it, the angrier I got. I decided to write a letter to the head of Marshall Fields Public Relations Department. I even called to find out the person's name. I figured if nothing else it would be an exercise that would allow me to vent. About a week later, to my surprise I got a phone call from someone from their Public Relations Department. The Marshall Fields rep apologized profusely for my bad experience and they wanted to make it right. They offered to send their best Santa (aka Mr. O’Riley) to our apartment so my kids could have a personal visit with him and we could take as many photos as we wanted. As luck would have it, we were having a holiday party that Saturday. They juggled Santa’s schedule and promised to have him stop by during the party. They also refunded the money I spent on the photo packages.
When guests started arriving at our holiday party that night we told them we ‘might’ have a surprise visitor. Everyone thought that meant that my husband (now ex-husband) would be ‘disappearing’ while Santa made his appearance. Boy were they surprised when Santa showed up and my ex-husband walked in right behind Santa. Santa gave our kids stockings filled with goodies and gave us mugs filled with candies. Santa had every child (and every adult that wanted to) sit on his lap and talked and laughed with each and every one. Santa let us take as many pictures as we wanted to. Everyone had a really good laugh when Grandma sat on Santa’s lap. The picture below is the only photo I could find.
Marshall Fields was the best, truly. It’s really sad they no longer exist.
That's Santa and my daughter. She's still a cutie!
Lola's Diner ©2008-2011
The Latest from Lola's Diner
Monday, December 12, 2011
Sunday, December 11, 2011
Today we ripped off a blogger and blog called BlueLifeMemories. It's long so we will do it in two parts. She states she stole it from a friend, but did not say which friend. But, it was probably stolen there as well. So, of course, that will be as far as we go. Tracing back our theft's thieves might take some time. Take the time to comment on other player's posts. It's a great way to make new friends! Link back to us at Sunday Stealing!
Sunday Stealing: The Blue Memory Meme, Part Two
Cheers to all of us thieves!
26) Are you happy with the person you've become? Yes, I am. However, it would be nice to have enough money to pay my bills and not be so stressed.
27) What's a sound you hate; sound you love? Sound I hate? That's easy...Drummer boy aka Metallica-head when he's playing music...whether it's the drums, electric guitar, or music. Sound I love...my kids laughter.
28) What's your biggest "what if"? What if I'm not around for those who need me.
29) Do you believe in ghosts? After watching Celebrity Ghost stories most of Saturday afternoon, I'd say no. Some of these are so hokey, it's ridiculous.
30) How about aliens? I've heard about Dennis Rodman. LMFAO!
31) What is the single best decision you have made in your life so far? Coming out.
32) What's the worst place you have ever been to? The mall during the holidays!
33) Can insanity bring on more creativity? That depends on the kind of insanity...
34) Most attractive actor of your opposite gender? Hmm...can't really think. Antonio Banderas comes to mind, but I think it's more his accent than his looks.
35) To you, what is the meaning of life? Family, love, peace.
36) Define “Art”. Art can be anything, it's how each person interprets it.
37) Do you believe in luck? Yes, and I could use some right now.
38) In your opinion, what makes a great relationship? Communication.
39) What's a song that always makes you happy when you hear it? Rem's "Shiny Happy People"!
40) Where were you yesterday? Home all day. Was supposed to paint, but messed up my back, so spent most of the day in bed.
41) What's the worst injury you've ever had? When I was 7 years old and missed the screen door handle and my hand went through the glass.
42) Do you have any obsessions right now? Words With Friends on Facebook. Omg! I love that game! Why don't they have it on bb? I am getting bored with Word Mole.
43) What's up? The ceiling.
44) Ever had a rumor spread about you? Not that I know of. Hear anything juicy?
45) Do you believe in real magic? Define "real" magic?
46) Do you ever hold grudges against people who have done you wrong? In rare cases.
47) What's your favorite (non-pet) animal? Penguin.
48) What is your secret weapon to get people to like you? Magnetism.
49) Where is your best friend? Dunno.
50) What do you think is Satan's last name? Wtf kind of question is that?
Thank you for playing this week on Sunday Stealing! Please leave a comment or link when you have posted. Stop back and visit other player’s posts. That is really what this is all about, making new friends! Have a great week. See you next Sunday!
Lola's Diner ©2008-2011