I think I'm going to challenge myself to try to visit at least 1 Farmer's Market per week. It's a great way to get me out of the house, and the bonus is that we have a chance to patronize local growers and small businesses.
To find a Farmer's Market near you, visit Farmer's Market Search.
Last Saturday we visited a different local Farmer's Market. Many of the same vendors that were as the Farmer's Market we visited the week previous, but a lot of new ones too. And bonus! The Salsa Guys were there. Well, we call them the Salsa Guys, it's actually El Gringo Loco salsas & sauces. They are in Warrenville, IL.
We got a jar of Key Lime & Garlic Salsa, 3 lbs of large beefsteak style tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, a bunch of large green onions, a quart of strawberries, 1 pot of Daisies, and 3 misc flowering plants.
Benefits of visiting your local Farmer's Market/Farmstand:
1. Locally grown and picked fruits and vegetables are harvested at their peak of flavor.Here's an article to check out for more tips Kitchen Refresh - Navigating the Farmer's Markets.
2. Buying locally is good for the environment in that you're not relying on a massive distribution system to get your produce to you. (Very "green",)
3. You are supporting local farms and business. Especially good now considering our current economy.
4. Farmer's Market/Farmstand's prices may be lower than your local supermarket. (Not always true, but the quality is always much higher at your local Farmer's Market/Farmstand.)
5. You'll have an opportunity to purchase some items that you may not have grown yourself, or may not be available at your local supermarket.
6. Opportunities abound to try something new, weather it be a new variety of radish, lettuce, etc.
7. Opportunities to try some real homemade baked goods, jams, bottled pickled items and specialty foods.
Is anyone else up for the Challenge? Sign up here and then post about your Farmer's Market/Farmstand experiences and keep track of your visits. Be sure to post your finds on your blog and include the Farmer's Market/Farmstand Challenge Banner which can be copied from HERE. As an incentive (as if getting the freshest produce isn't incentive enough) I will be awarding Entrecard Credits to the top Farmer's Market Patrons now until September 30th. There are 16 weekends until then. Can you visit a Farmer's Market/Farmstand all 16 weekends?
Note: This Mr. Linky is ONLY for particpants in the Farmer's Market/Farmstand Challenge, any "money making" blogs or advertising sites will be promptly removed.