I had been using Anastasia's old laptop. She had purchased a brand spanking new one last year. Yesterday morning when I tried to boot (my) laptop kept wanting to do a disk check, so I let it, and it took well over an hour. After the check was completed it checked for free space, then it started the boot process. Then a blue screen came up too fast to read, but I did manage to see "beginning dump". Then it started the boot process again. It kept looping and wouldn't boot. Damn I hope the stuff on (my) hard drive can be copied or I am really screwed. It had my resumes, photos, future posts, financial/legal information and brochures, flyers, forms and contracts for a business start up. I don't have the money to take it anywhere right now, but was thinking I will probably take it to Best Buy's Geek Squad (this is not a paid post), because I really don't know of any other local place to take it.
Anyone have this happen? Were you able to have your data recovered? How much did it cost you? Does anyone know of a reputable place in Illinois around Joliet, Shorewood, New Lenox, Frankfort, Mokena, Tinley Park, Orland Park, Palos Heights, Plainfield, Lockport, Romeoville?
So now I will be at the mercy of the lovely Anastasia for computer time. Have I said lately how much I love love love her? I do have a desktop, but using it is difficult for several reasons.
1. The table and chair for the desktop exacerbate my back problems.
2. I like to multi-task and watch television while I drop Entrecards. I can't do that where my desktop is located.
3. I'm kind of afraid to even turn on my desktop for fear of having that take a dump. I have even more crucial financial data on there. And nothing is backed up. What can I say? I like to live on the edge.
4. The desktop is in an area away from the "family zone". While in theory this sounds good, because I will get a break from the family, I will be isolating myself. I don't think that's a great idea right now considering the current state of my psyche.
5. There is no space available to move 1 of the "working" printers near the desktop. Very cramped for space and no other option to move the desktop until someone with big muscles comes over to take our computer armoire (which is in boxes unassembled and weighs about as much as a small car) up to our second floor so it can be assembled.
6. I want to get a new laptop, but it's not in the finances right now. If I get my taxes done, I could use that money and stimulate the economy at the same time. Woo Hoo! But, I need to get the tax software and then I have to deal with #3. (I think I know what I will be doing on Sunday - my taxes.)
Regardless, I will still be posting and dropping Entrecards. I may not be able to read as many blogs as I used to. (Not to mention that I lost all my bookmarks. Grrrr.)
Which brings me to the ultimate question...PC Versus Mac. I've always had PC's.
PC - I really don't want to deal with this virus nonsense anymore. Getting a PC would necessitate continuing to have to deal with virus threats. Windows Vista - I really don't want to go there. I have heard such bad things about it. I know it is possible to get Windows XP machines if you really look. I also know that there are some machines loaded with Windows Vista that can be converted to Windows XP
Mac - I've worked with a Mac once when I worked for the library. I'd like to get a Mac, but 2 things always hold me back. Those 2 things are the much higher price and the fact that I need to stay adept at Microsoft Office 97 (Excel, Word, Access, Powerpoint) for my career. Also, I already have the software. I've done a little bit of reading on using Mac's Boot Camp to load Windows XP SP2, and be able to run Windows software, but right now that just confuses me even more. I'm pretty much Mac stupid. I know very little, but I figure I have some time to get educated. So, help me out, educate me!
So what are your thoughts on PC Versus Mac? And if you are a Mac devotee, please convince me (in detail) how I can easily run my coveted Windows Microsoft Office 97 on a Mac.
Top 19 Images Grey White Wash Coffee Table
12 hours ago