Recent Posts

Monday, July 18, 2011

Breaking Bad Season Premiere on AMC

Since getting satellite back (as part of a special deal from my phone company), I've been enjoying programs that I had caught at friend's houses here and there. One of those was Breaking Bad on AMC. Last week they re-ran the previous season and I recorded it on my DVR (woo hoo! I'm stepping into this century!). By the time the season premiere started I was all caught up.

If you've got it on your DVR and haven't watched it yet, you may want to go watch now and come back, because I don't want to spoil it for you, but I do want to discuss the episode, so be sure to come back.

I've always found this series very well written. Lots of plot twists and turns. Sure some of them were a bit predictable, like Jesse's girlfriend overdosing, but you couldn't say that about what followed with her father.

You certainly couldn't say that this show glamorizes drug dealing, or manufacture. If anything, it shows how evil it truly is. Sure, Walt's reasons for cooking meth are understandable. He has cancer and a new baby girl (along with a 16 year old son), and he wants to cash out big to provide for his family after he is gone. I don't know that any of us would choose that option, had we had the knowledge Walt does, but it makes for a compelling story.

I'm not a fan of gratuitous violence. In fact, I tend to not watch shows or movies that are violent. Past episodes have been violent, sure, but the season premiere seemed over the top to me. The methodical, incalculably cold, shocking way in which Gustavo Fring (played impeccably by Giancarlo Esposito) murders one of his henchman, literally almost had me losing my dinner. I was literally gagging, as if I were there and experienced it. I don't think I've ever had a reaction like that to a scene in a show or a movie.

Have you seen the show? Have you seen the episode? What do you think?

Lola's Diner ©2008-2011

No comments:

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©