Recent Posts

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hey Ann Romney...What's a "real marriage"?

Oh my blogger, pals, I know you saw this post coming...

The Huffpost Gay Voices has her speech in video as well as text.

"What Mitt Romney and I have is a real marriage."

Is that a jab at the LGBT community?  Is that a jab at the same sex marriage movement?

Bring it on beyotch!

So you you think just because you're heterosexual you have a "real marriage"?  All gays and lesbians who are married have a "real marriage".  And even the ones who aren't married, but are in committed relationships would easily mirror a "real marriage".  As gays and lesbian couples, we love each other, support each other, care for each other in good times and bad, we bring children into our lives and nurture them and love them.  We too have values...values that are centered on "family, faith and love of one's fellow man" AND woman.  We are not valueless creatures.  In fact all of us, whether we have a piece of paper that says we're married or not, have values, care about what's going on in the world and want better lives for our children.  We go to work, or one of us stays home with the children.  We take them to school or daycare.  We have dinner together as often as we can.  We juggle our kids after school activities.  We struggle to make ends meet in a tough economy.  We celebrate love and togetherness. 


"Tonight I want to talk to you about love."  We too have deep and abiding love and the love "so deep only a Mother could fathom it".  And that love is for children we did not necessarily create.  We adopt, we foster, we use fertility clinics.  We find a way to complete our families that you would never comprehend.  The things we go through to become a family and live our lives every day as a family is both difficult and amazing.

I had coffee with a friend of mine yesterday.  Yes, a fellow lesbian.  And we talked about Mrs. Romney's speech.  We were both offended.  The things that just the two of us have gone through in our separate lives about relationships with women.  Our long term relationships mirror "real marriage".  Each of us has taken on the role of spouse in those relationships and created families, even if hers were fur families (families with no children, but with pets).  One thing we pondered was, what if only people following the "Christian way" could vote?  That would mean the following of us could not vote:
Those of us in gay and lesbian relationships.  (Ok, many of us would argue this one to the death about what the bible says about gays and lesbians, but for the sake of argument, lets include this one and move on.)
Those of us who have had premarital sex.
Those of us who have had children out of wedlock.
Those of us who "live in sin".  Meaning living together and not married.
Those of us who have had abortions.
Those of us who have had an affair.
Those of us (oh and this one makes me go eww!) those of us who swallow semen instead of using it for procreation.
Those of us who use contraceptives. 
How many people could actually vote?

None of us are perfect, none of us are "perfect Christians" or have "storybook marriages".  I'm willing to bet at some time in the future we will find out how really "un-perfect" the Romney's lives are.  Remember John Edwards anyone?


Lola's Diner ©2008-2012

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job commenting on the "political" perspective of "marriage". I have been married three times, divorced twice while wondering why did I get married for the third time.

The issues in my marriages are me. I am a bisexual man in a hetero sexual marriage. The truth, I should never got married, except there are two wonderful children from my first marriage who would not have the opportunity to be alive today.

Knowing who I am, it would be wonderful if society and the business would allow people to be who they really are without fear. I am successful in my career, but fear I would not achieved this level if I was open about my sexual orientation.

I say I am bisexual, but I could be gay. The best relationship I had was with another man when I was a teenager. He was a pedophile and I was his victim, but it was the most pleasing relationship with a person I ever had.

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©