Recent Posts

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cookbook Review: "Tortillas To The Rescue" By Jessica Harlan

A while back (longer than I'd care to admit) I received a copy of Tortillas To The Rescue.  I was really excited when I learned I'd be reviewing this cookbook.  When we learned that my son has an allergy to Gluten, we really scrambled to come up with new and different meal ideas.  Since Corn Tortillas are on his allowed food list, this book is right up our alley.
I'm always looking for ways to make foods he can't have with ingredients that he can, so when I saw the following recipes I was very excited:
Breakfasts:
Egg In A Hole
New Mexican Benedicts
Shortcut Blintzes
Snacks & Appetizers:
Spinach & Cheese Empanadas
Chorizo & Cojack Taquitos
Baked Wontons With Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce
Mexican Snack Mix (For Gluten Free, use Gluten Free varieties of Chex Mix and Gluten Free Pretzels)
Meat Main Courses:
Burger Pouches
Meatless Main Courses:
Broccoli-Cheddar Quiche
Tortilla-Crusted Eggplant With Spicy Tomato Sauce

Roasted Vegetable Napoleons
Comforting Casseroles:
Mexican Lasagna
Broccoli-Chicken Casserole

This is nowhere near a complete list of the recipes.  There are also many recipes for roll-ups, burritos, wraps and desserts.  I selected the above recipes to highlight those items that I can convert to Gluten Free by using Corn Tortillas.  All the recipes are quick, easy and fun.

Included in the 100 Quick & Easy Recipes, are recipes to make your own Flour Tortillas and Corn Tortillas at home.  For someone who has made pasta at home and knows the delicious difference between homemade and store bought, homemade tortillas are also delicious and make for a real homemade meal with simple ingredients.

This is definitely going to become one of my go-to cookbooks.  You can find Tortillas To The Rescue at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com and your local bookseller.  It is also available on Kindle and The Nook.  This would make a great stocking stuffer for your favorite cook, or student who is off to college.  Yes, the recipes are that quick and easy.


Lola's Diner Disclaimer: I was given the cookbook Tortillas To The Rescue to review. This review is 100% my opinion and has not been edited or reviewed by anyone. I was not compensated in any other way for this book review.

Lola's Diner ©2008-2012

No comments:

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©