Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Prepping for he holidays...it's completely different this year...

It just is.  This year, for the first time I have to be conscious of my son's Gluten allergy.  I'm going to have to get very creative with my menu in order to accommodate his allergy.

Traditional stuffing (or dressing, if you prefer) is out.  Yes, I could spend a fortune on Gluten Free bread and make my usual stuffing, but at $4 a loaf, it's just not in my budget.  I was thinking rice stuffing, but it's just not the same.  Sure, I could make a small batch of Gluten Free stuffing, but I know for a fact my son will sneak the regular version.  Even still, a small batch will require at least 4 loaves of Gluten Free bread (those loaves are damn small.)

Homemade Mac & Cheese (Paula Deene's recipe, YUM!)  Here again, I can buy Gluten Free pasta, but I will have to put the regular version under lock and key.  (If you think I'm joking, I'm not.  He's already learned what happens when he eats Gluten, and he just doesn't seem to care right now.)

Green Bean Casserole is probably out.  It could be doable, make a cream of soup using a Gluten Free flour and bread and fry some onions in Gluten Free breading.  It just sounds like sooo much work.

Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie could be done.  I'm thinking white corn tortilla's layered for the pastry dough.  I've also seen a recipe where you throw the white corn tortilla in a food processor and chop it up fine and use it with the other traditional ingredients for pastry dough.  I'm thinking layering them would be much easier and could work.

Popovers were a big hit one year.  I could make them with Gluten Free flour.

Turkey - Check...no issue there.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts - Check...no issue there.
Mashed potatoes - Check...no issues there.
Sweet potatoes - Check...no issues there.
Veggie tray - Check...no issues there.

It could be done.

Hopefully we will get out of work early on Wednesday (what wishful thinking....I will be slammed with work).  But it would help to get a head start on Wednesday.

So what is your Thanksgiving Menu?  Anything different this year?

Do you have any Gluten Free recipes to share?


 

Lola's Diner ©2008-2012

No comments:

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©