Recent Posts

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thumbs...Up!

Some of you may recall this post How On Earth Am I Going to Get These Gifts Wrapped?. In it, I posted how December 16th I had smashed my left thumb with the snow thrower clutch bar. Here is that nifty, blurry photo that I posted 2 days later.
For the last 2 months I have had what can only be described as a flip-top/convertible thumb nail. The nail released from the nailbed, but was still firmly attached near the top of the nail. In order not to snag it on clothing and whatnot, I fashioned a strap with waterproof tape.

Last night I'd had enough. The nail was still hanging on by a small amount of skin at the top of the nail. I took cuticle scissors and carefully cut away the nail. This is what my new nail looks like, and the nail that came off. The new nail is deformed. There is a big ridge horizontally across the center of the nail and it looks bubbled up. It's also still sore. I'm sure I can look forward to losing yet another nail, as this new one does not look healthy. Fun.
Lola's Diner
©2008-2009

9 comments:

Margo said...

Ouch! Great action shots. Hope it feels much better soon, now that this trauma is over :)

Unknown said...

That looks like it hurts! Sorry!!

I am Harriet said...

Early...what's that?

Ouch....I'm feeling your pain.

Stephanie Barr said...

My father's nail was cut across the cuticle (vertically), so it grew out and the two haves overlapped the rest of his life. What a hassle!

I hope it eventually works out. I've lost a few nails in my time, but I couldn't even tell you which finger they were. On the other hand, my nails are terrible (peeling, soft, AND brittle).

Patricia Rockwell said...

That kind of thing happens more often to my toes than my fingers. You poor babe!

A. said...

Ouch! It will grow through though, not to worry. :)

Michelle said...

two words: ouch and gross! ;)

Mira said...

Yay, I feel pain just by looking at it, ouch!

Lin said...

Yea New Fingernail!!! I had that problem in February when Toenail decided it wasn't going to Florida with me. So I super-glued that mother down! It finally let go, after an exhausting, but fun, last fling in sandals. Now, I have New Toenail, which is coming in nicely, just in time for sandal season here!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©