Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

it's that time of the year...

Summer means picnics and bbq's and that means potato salads.

One of the things that frustrates me endlessly since I moved to Illinois is the fact that you cannot get German Potato Salad at any grocery deli.
A nice cold, tangy German Potato Salad with just the right amount of real bacon. Mmmm. I remember every Sunday after church we'd go to Sentry Foods and get hot ham, rolls and German Potato Salad. When we had family parties we could order it in huge gallon pails. In Wisconsin, German Potato Salad is a staple.

Even when I lived in Chicago, I could not find it in a grocery store deli department. Yes, can get "Grandma's German Potato Salad" in a teeny tiny package. Maybe 4 ounces for $4.99. Meanwhile every other kind of potato salad comes in practically a gallon size drum for that price. So, were I wanting to purchase the German Potato Salad I would need to purchase maybe 60 for a party? I'm not even going to do the math. What is up with that?

Noooo, I don't want to make my own German Potato Salad. I tried that once. I couldn't get the vinegar right. I want to buy it.

I don't want American Potato Salad, Mustard Potato Salad, Dill Potato Salad, Amish Potato Salad or Macaroni Salad. Ok, the Deviled Egg Potato Salad isn't bad, and I do enjoy Dill Potato Salad, but it's not German Potato Salad! What the hell makes a potato salad Amish anyway? To me it just tastes like Mustard Potato Salad.

Why can't I get a pound, or a family size tub of German Potato Salad around here?

Are they rationing it here in Illinois?

Can someone hook me up?

If my sister comes for the 4th of July I may ask her to smuggle some across the border. I wonder what the penalty is for getting caught smuggling deli salads across state lines?

Lola's Diner
©2008-2009

5 comments:

Stacie said...

Wow I can't believe you can't get German Potato Salad there. Your right every grocery store in Wisconsin has it. My dad makes the most awesome German Potato Salad! I miss the ham and rolls on Sunday. My parents did that every week. In Milwaukee we could get these yummy Dutch Cross Rolls but up here in North East Wisconsin they must not know anything about HARD ROLLS... they are soft... I so miss the hard rolls!! :)

Lola said...

OMG! We used to get those rolls too. We called them Dutch Crust Rolls. They don't have those here at grocery bakeries either, although you can buy them bagged, but those are soft and that defeats the wonder of the crust, because you HAVE to peel off the crusty parts and eat those first.

Auntie E said...

okay Lola, I lived in germany and have a german recipe. I posted one for you today on the Cook book site.
http://auntieecookbook.blogspot.com/

Mom's Cafe Home Cooking said...

Now you see necessity is the mother of invention. All you need to do is experiment a bit with a few German potato salad recipes to find the one you like the best then tweak a bit from there :)

BTW, I like your new header. Very nice!

Lin said...

Hey, Joe's mom makes good German Potato salad, but she doesn't live around here. I like the stuff, but never really have a hankering for it. I hope you find it, Lola. Maybe you can hook up with somebody's Grandma to make it for you.

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©