Recent Posts

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve Memories

This is a re-post from last year. Why? Because I lead a really dull life and this is proof positive that wasn't always the case.
I think the most memorable New Year’s Eve was back in the ‘80’s. I was 19 or 20 years old. (The legal drinking age back then was 18.) I had arranged to bar hop with friends by bus. Each of us took a bus to our first stop, which was Wendt’s Bar in Milwaukee. Even though the idea was to bar hop, we stayed there most of the night.

Lei’s, party hats, streamers and horns were aplenty. So much so, that my friends and I wore multiple hats and Lei’s. After ringing in the New Year at Wendt’s, we walked about 2 blocks to another bar. At some point my friend Cindy's mother picked us up and was going to give me a ride home, but there was some arguing going on between Cindy and her Mother. I ended up asking to be dropped off at an intersection about 3 miles from my parent’s house. (Yes, I still lived with my parents.) Taking the bus at that point wasn’t an option because the end of the bus line was less than a mile ahead.

I began walking and stopped at the next bar just to warm up, or so I thought. Apparently wearing 2 Tieras (one forwards, one backwards) a Fez type Happy New Years hat in between them, about 8 lei’s, and more streamers and confetti than I’ve ever seen since, makes you the life of the party. Having never been the life of the party before, I rather enjoyed the attention. Every single patron (and there were still a heck of a lot of people out at the bar at that hour) had to buy me a drink and wish me a Happy New Year. After a very short while I had to switch to plain soda because I could not possibly drink any more alcohol. Around 5:30am I decided I was close to being sober enough to walk the 2 miles home.

So picture this (and I am so glad that I didn’t know anyone at that bar and that no one had a camera.) Picture this, I am walking home (more like stumbling), it’s nearly 6am, the sun has already come up, and I am still wearing the 3 party hats and I still have about 4 Lei’s and streamers and confetti all over me.
I am a freakin'
walking
New Year’s Eve party!
Somehow I managed to walk down 3 streets in our subdivision without being seen by anyone. I also managed to get in the house and into my room, without my parents seeing me come in. The issue here isn’t underage drinking, I was of drinking age. The issue is not having my parents see me looking like a New Year’s Eve Party threw up all over me. My friends thought it was cool, after all, they had just as many party hats, leis, streamers and confetti as I did. Somehow I don’t think my parents would have been impressed.
As you contemplate your New Year's Eve celebration, please:
Use public transportation (some cities over very reduced rates certain hours on NYE/Day or
Designate a driver or
Have a house party and let your guests sleep over.
Be safe!
I want to see you all back to blogging bright and early New Year's Day.
(Ok, maybe after you sleep a little late and have a couple aspirin.)
What was your most memorable New Year's Eve?
Please post it in my comments section.
(If you don't have one yet, please don't try to imitate my exploits.
The hangover for the next day and a half was excruciating.)

Lola's Diner
©2008-2010

3 comments:

StaceyC4 said...

Now that's funny...I was never that adventurous on New Years.

A.Marie said...

I would have paid money to see that! LOL

My most memorable New Years Eve was definitely when 1999 was turning into 2000. Hubby would not sleep until he knew that both of our vehicles would start when the clock struck midnight and that we had running water...Remember the whole Y2K thing? Anyway, fireworks were going off in the neighborhood and there was hubby, trudging out in the snow and ice, to see if we still would have transportation.

I'm not making fun of him...trust me on this one...I had already driven us both crazy by insisting on stocking up on enough canned foods, water and medical supplies to furnish a small M*A*S*H unit! I didn't have to shop for bandages for years! PLUS, I had filled the kitchen sink, bathroom sink AND tub with water JUST IN CASE civilization would end with the coming year, and life as we knew would be O.V.E.R., and we wouldn't be able to get water.

I know...I was a nut case and totally fell for that whole Y2K scare. If I could have, I would have gone hiding, in a cave, and hunkered down with all of those other "survivalists" who wrote books about the Doomsday that was about to befall all of us! HA! :)

JD at I Do Things said...

I will be one of the boring people, staying home, watching a movie, eating cupcakes, and going to bed early.

Works for me.

Have a happy New Year!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©