Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year!

Monday was Chinese New Year. Because our finances are tight we couldn’t afford to go out for Chinese or order takeout for 4. So based on what I had on hand I made stir fry. Not really Chinese food, but I had to go with what I had on hand. If I had the ingredients I could have made Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork, Moo Shoo Pork, Pork Fried Rice. But I didn’t have the ingredients. As a treat, and since technically it was a holiday, I had Anastasia pick up Egg Rolls and Crab Rangoon from the local Chinese place that we frequent.

When Anastasia went to pick up the food the young women who are always behind the counter rang up the order and gave her the bag of food. Just as she was about to take the bag, an Asian man she had never seen before came from behind the counter approached her, wished her a Happy New Year with what sounded like a Chinese accent. Then, very ceremoniously, he handed her a red envelope and slowly said "I wish you great fortune. Happy New Year." There was a card inside the envelope.

With Anastasia losing her job, we could really use some "great fortune" about now.

Anastasia was freaked out. It was like a Twilight Zone moment. Anastasia got a chill and kind of likened it to Zoltar in the movie Big (1988).



Lola's Diner
©2008-2009

2 comments:

JD at I Do Things said...

Happy Chinese (Food) New Year!

Wow, that card is obviously a very good omen, don't you think? And thanks for the Zoltar flashback.

Lola said...

JD,

We're hoping!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©