Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chicken Enchilada Recipe

Auntie E @ At Home With Auntie E requested my recipe for Chicken Enchiladas that I made on Saturday night. When I make them, I usually do a 13"x9" pan and an 8.5" square pan. Saturday I baked the large pan for 4 people (with leftovers) and tonight I baked the smaller pan for 3 people. I used the Green (Verde) Enchilada Sauce this time, but I've also used the red sauce in the past. The 2 pans of enchiladas use 1 large can of Enchilada Sauce and about 1.5 - 2 bags of Flour Tortillas.

I think I got this recipe from one of Oprah’s cooking segments on fast and easy meals. It called for you to dump the Enchilada Sauce into a pie pan and then dip each Tortilla into the sauce, then put it on a plate or cutting board and begin assembly. That’s too messy because you assemble each enchilada separately and you're constantly getting your fingers full of sauce with each enchilada. This is the way I do it:

Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:

Cooked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into strips
Flour Tortillas
Can of Refried Beans
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (or Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese)
Can of Enchilada Sauce (Either the Red Enchilada Sauce or the Green Enchilada Sauce)

Take your 13x9 baking dish, spray with Non-Stick Spray. Take several spoonfuls of Enchilada Sauce to cover the bottom of the baking dish completely. This step is important so that the bottom of the enchiladas get coated in sauce when you set the rolled enchiladas in the pan.

For each enchilada:
1. Take a Tortilla and put it on a cutting board or plate. Put about 2 tablespoons onto the Tortilla and spread it to cover the top of the Tortilla facing you.

2. Spoon Refried Beans along the center of the Tortilla (on top of the sauce). (Just a like of Refried Beans down the center, about an inch to inch and a half wide. 3-4 heaping spoonfuls spread out usually is enough)

3. Add 1 or 2 strips of Cooked Chicken.

4. Spoon Sour Cream along the top of the Cooked Chicken. (Same method as the Refried Beans.)

5. Sprinkle Shredded Cheese over the top of the Sour Cream.

6. Roll Tortilla up and place seam side down into the baking dish.

Repeat until you have filled the baking dish with enchiladas.

Spoon Enchilada Sauce liberally over the top of the enchiladas, covering them completely in sauce.

Sprinkle Shredded Cheese over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes, or until cheese is nice and browned.

The photo also shows the rice I made, using a recipe I made up myself:

Lola's Dirty Rice

Cooked White Rice (or you can use brown rice)
Can of Black Beans
Can of Diced Tomatoes
Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (to taste)

After cooking the rice, dump the can of Black Beans (with the liquid) and can of Diced Tomatoes on with the rice and combine. Sprinkle Creole Seasoning to taste and stir. (We like it spicy.)

(You can use any Creole Seasoning or Louisiana Spice Seasoning.)

Lola's Diner
©2008-2009

3 comments:

Auntie E said...

MY..My...My... this sounds really easy and I love the green Verde sauce. thank you for posting it:-) tomorrows dinner indeed.

Lin said...

You lost me at "Oprah".

StaceyC4 said...

Ooooo....yummy! I'm always looking for something new to make. Thanks for sharing!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©