1. I started customizing each and every resume I send out for every job I apply to.
2. I've made an attempt to network with the social group I belong to. (I got 1 response, which is cool, because I had no expectations.)
3. I've joined just about every job search site there is and I've dropped everything and ran to fill out applications in person.
4. I've practiced interviewing using my web cam. (Yes...there are other reasons to use that web cam Ms. Naughty.)
5. I got a Blackberry so I can access my emails (job alert emails especially) wherever I am. I get tons of these job alerts, some are repetitive, and some are just crap. With my Blackberry I can look through them wherever I am and quickly delete all the ones that don't have a job I can apply for. Then when I get to my computer, I have only relevant job alerts left to do applications for. This saves me tons of time especially since I've had to change up my morning routine.
6. I went shopping for the past 2 days to get a 2nd interview outfit. I had only 1 interview outfit, so I figure by now having that 2nd outfit I will be prepared for that illusive 2nd interview. Thinking positive...that's what I'm doing. Also hoping that I will project that positivity in my next interview because I will be completely prepared for that 2nd interview, rather than sitting through the 1st interview, with the thought in my head "what if I get called for a 2nd? I have nothing to wear." Jeez, that sounds like a girlie thing to say. But seriously...dudes can wear the same suit to a 2nd interview, all they need to do is change up the shirt and tie. Women don't have it that easy. Just changing up the blouse, doesn't cut it.
Now for lucky #7:
7. Prayer. Yes pallies, I've been praying a lot and decided I needed some extra help. So just like when I'm going on the net to research anything, I researched this. Any Catholic knows the Patron Saint of lost articles is St. Anthony and St. Christopher is the Patron Saint of safe travel. Did you know the Patron Saint for people seeking employment is St. Joseph? I got online and was going to order prayer cards. When I found that the shipping cost was more than double the cost of the prayer cards, I started calling local religious stores. I found one in the area and picked up several so I could give to friends and family who are also job hunting. I also picked up a St. Jude medal. St. Jude is the Patron Saint for hopeless causes. Actually that's not quite that odd for me...I do have some religious jewelry.
So, if you know someone who is looking for a job, or if you would like to pray for success in my job hunt, just change up the wording a bit to apply for who you are praying for.
Here is the prayer:
Prayer to St. Joseph For EmploymentPlease don't think I've cracked. Honestly, I think most people turn to prayer when they are going through troubled times. I've gone through a bit more than my fair share, and with every situation I have turned to prayer, and I have made it through. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." "God doesn't give you more than you can handle." Those sayings grate on my nerves, but I have still found them to be true.
Dear Saint Joseph, you were yourself once faced with the responsibility of providing the necessities of life for Jesus and Mary. Look down with fatherly compassion upon me in my anxiety with my present inability to support my family.
Please help me find gainful employment very soon, so that this great burden of concern will be lifted from my heart and that I am soon able to provide for those whom God has entrusted to my care. Help me guard against discouragement, so that I may emerge from this trial spiritually enriched and with even greater blessings from God.
Lola's Diner ©2008-2011