Recent Posts

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Are You Ready For Halloween?

So what are you going to be for Halloween? Or what are you kids going to be?

I don't 'do' Halloween. Mostly because there is no point. We get zero trick-or-treaters at our house because we have no street lights on our block. Anastasia and I never have the opportunity to attend an adult party because, well, we've always got our daughter and she can't be left home without adult supervision. For me to wear a costume would be rather pointless because I won't be doing anything. That's not to say that I'm upset that I don't get to 'dress-up', I'm just not that creative when it comes to myself.

With our kids, that's a whole different story. I've rarely bought a purchased costume. I've bought masks, I've sewn costumes and created costumes out of regular clothes and make-up. When they were little, I sewed a pumpkin costume. When our son was in grade school, I Bedazzled a black shirt for an Elvis costume. (Yes, I admit it, I own a Bedazzler. Actually just purchased for that costume....honest!) Two years ago I bought our son a suit for $2.99 at a thrift store that has not only been a costume for Halloween for 2 years, it has also served as his suit for Homecoming and special occasions.

This year our daughter wants to wear scrubs and be a nurse. No expenditure needed here, we've got scrubs...don't ask... Our son wants to wear his suit. (I think he loves the attention he gets when he dresses up.) I told him he should wear his black skinny tie and he can go as Don Draper (Mad Men), but he thinks that's stupid. Sigh. I thought it was a cool idea.
In any case, our kids still want to trick-or-treat. They are going under the guise of taking out Anastasia's grand nephew and grand niece. They are almost 3 and almost 2. Our kids have been invited over to Anastasia's Mother's house to meet up with them. That is unless our son goes with Eddie Haskell instead.

So far I have not bought a single solitary bag of Halloween candy. I think I'm doing awesome! Usually I'll buy several bags (because they're on sale!) I'll eat a few, share them with Anastasia and next thing you know our son finds my stash and I end up with an empty bag. Well, not this year! I haven't bought any! Remember...I don't have to buy any, we don't get any trick-or-treaters.

Oh wait, I just remembered, I lied. Walgreen's had Brach's Chocolate Gourmet Candy Corn and I just had to buy a bag and try it. They looked kind of gross, but they were actually pretty good. I actually like the regular kind too.

So what about you? What are your costumes? Have you succumbed to the Halloween candy sales? Come on, you can tell Lola, do you have a stash in your desk at work?

Lola's Diner
©2008-2009

9 comments:

Helene said...

The first year I had Alex I was in bed with a fever and the flu. Last year I fractured my foot a week before. This year no one will carve that blessed (still) pumpkin arghhhhhhh. Alex is Brobee. His favorite. 1st year was Elmo. I buy costumnes-that's as creative as I get. My "creativity" costs me. We get few t or t-ers here too now. Will take him to a few houses. Don't really want to leave the house empty now.

Diane said...

i'm sorry, you lost me at "Mostly because there is no point." lol screw the trick or treaters and do it just cuz it's fun!

i wait to buy candy til the last minute so it doesnt get eaten. (not by me!)

Anonymous said...

We don't get any kids on our street for Halloween. It's so tucked away that nobody knows it's here. Last year it was so cold that I bought canday and put it in a big bowl and left it on the dining room table. The kids were happy with that and I told them that this will end going out. They were upset but they got over it. Most of the time the never ate half of the candy that they got anyway.

Auntie E said...

We don't do Halloween, Just never started it with our child. What we have always done is, go into the basement and pig out on junk food, watch "Young Frankenstein". and just hand out as a family. No kids come to the door anymore. We do have some teens who like to do pranks just because. So we do move things off the front porch, don't want to search the neighborhood for them.

Auntie E said...

took me three times to get that word right...And now I am going to renew my license hope I pass the eye test,lol. Now I practice again.

Patricia Rockwell said...

We always do Halloween. I should say my husband does Halloween. I make him hand out the candy at the door because we have lots of kids in the neighborhood. My job is to babysit the dog and make sure she doesn't get out the front door when the kiddies are there.

Lin said...

We didn't get many trick or treaters last year, so I don't see myself buying much candy. Col is going to a party and Em wants to t-o-t, but I won't let her--I think she is too old. I suggested a party here, but I don't know if she wants to take me up on it or not. Me--I guess I'll have to dress up for work, they do that stuff there, which sort of drives me nuts.

StaceyC4 said...

I have to admit, I hate Halloween. Always have - even as a kid. My kids love it. You can imagine my annoyance at this. We don't buy the candy because we live off of a fairly main road where most of the trick-or-treaters go so we are off the beaten path. I leave the lights off and no body bothers us. I do take my younger son out and I whine and complain the whole time. He doesn't care, he's getting free candy!

I am Harriet said...

I live in a big subdivision where people from all over drive their kids to to T.o.T.
Luckily, people here are good about sticking to the set hours.

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©