Recent Posts

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Osama Bin Laden...

This post has been ruminating in my head since President Obama came on tv to announce they got Bin Laden. I hesitated a bit to even post this, but since no one's really been stopping by, it's not like I'm gonna get hate comments.

Is it just me? Or does anyone else find it disturbing the reaction of some people around the world? And when I say around the world, I also mean Americans. No doubt the man did evil things. No doubt he should pay for his crimes against society...but is it really appropriate to celebrate his death to the extent that some people have according to the media? And is it really appropriate to profit from it by making and selling T-shirts, mugs and other chochkees? What does it say about our society as a whole that we gather and chant and sing songs to praise the fact that another human being has been killed by another human being? Don't get me wrong, I know he orchestrated the deaths of thousands of Americans, but really, is this kind of behavior appropriate? It's definitely not the Christian thing to do. Or, I'm guessing, something to be praised by other religions. I'm just saying...I found it embarrassing to watch the coverage of the "celebrations" in the media. It makes Americans look no better than people in other countries who celebrate the death of their most hated enemy.

And...while I'm on the subject...do we really need photographic proof?

Lola's Diner ©2008-2011

4 comments:

Lin said...

I still come 'round, pally. :)

I'm with you on this one. I don't like how everyone is dancing around hootin' and hollerin' either. I sort of view it like this:

I feel like the the family of a victim of murder who's murderer has just been sentenced to death. There is no rejoicing, only solemn reflection and prayers for the victims. It's not about his life--it is about seeing that we have seen this to a conclusion.

Will it end? Nope. But for those who were killed by this man's plans can finally have closure.

Hope said...

Great post and my opinion exactly. ANd expressing my same opinion on FaceBook got me in hot water with some folks...good religious folks who were celebrating in the streets and acting like fools. This is what gets me: we were horrified by images of Bin Laden supporters rejoicing over the killings of our innocents in the 9/11 attacks. After claiming that we were so much better than them and they were acting like animals, we do the very same thing. Sad, sad, sad.

Helene said...

I've been sick and busy with school but I still come around :-)

When they announced it I was saddened to see Americans acting the same way the you know who's did back on 9-11.

Deb said...

I was disappointed that people were dancing in the streets and that it has been made into a party event. I wish that they had brought him out alive like Sadam so that he could be tried not killed so easily. But oh well, they did it and forever there will be people that doubt he is dead because they buried him at sea and didn't release the photo right away.

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©