Recent Posts

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sandusky...Histrionic Personality Disorder...Really?

Have you heard about this?  Jerry Sandusky Defense Permitted To Put Evidence Of Histrionic Personality Disorder Before Jury.  Being somewhat familiar with various types and degrees of mental illness, when I heard about this on the radio I was dumbfounded. 

From Wikipedia:  "Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association as a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention-seeking, including an excessive need for approval and inappropriately seductive behavior, usually beginning in early adulthood. These individuals are lively, dramatic, vivacious, enthusiastic, and flirtatious. HPD is most commonly found in the United States and affects four times as many women as men.[1] It has a prevalence of 2–3% in the general population, and 10–15% in inpatient and outpatient mental health institutions."

Ok, I don't know exactly how the math would work (I'm off duty), but that would mean that there would be 1 person afflicted with Histrionic Personality Disorder in the hospital I just came from.  Or, if my math is wrong, still...in all of my visits at psychiatric units I must have run into 1 of them...right? 

Seriously!

What are the chances that Sandusky is part of the 2-3% of the general population?

Really?


Lola's Diner ©2008-2012

No comments:

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©