Recent Posts

Monday, December 24, 2018

‘Twas the night before Christmas

A lot of prepping and cooking to do on Christmas Eve. 
We don’t have a regular meal on Christmas Eve. It’s more like grazing, grabbing a few things and getting back to wrapping, assembling, or Christmas movie watching.

So, what’s on the menu?

T=Tradition N=New

Vegetable tray with Spinach Dip-T/N the dip is new.
Olives, pickles, pickled vegetables-T
Cheese and Sausage Tray-T
Bacon wrapped oysters-N
Herring-N
Mini meatballs in marinara sauce. (Usually did the grape jelly or cranberry sauce, but can’t have all that sugar.)-N
Sfincioni (Pizza Dough, olive oil, tomato paste, thinly sliced red onions, anchovies, Parmesan cheese). It’s a cross between pizza and focaccia. It’s eaten cold, but can be eaten warm. Tradition from my grandmother-T.
Jalapeño poppers-N
Kidney Bean Salad-N
Prepare ahead a frittata for Christmas morning breakfast. Bake, cool, refrigerate. Everyone helps themselves whenever they get up. Take a slice and warm in the microwave-T

I used to make pizza dough from scratch. In the interest of saving my sanity, I switched to Pillsbury Pizza Dough a few years ago.

I used to make Quiche. But since I’m low carb and my son can’t have gluten, it’s much easier to do a frittata. I could make a low carb GF crust, but it would be a fussy, time consuming endeavor.

The kidney bean salad is hopefully like the salad you get on a relish tray at a supper club. Very hard time finding a recipe. Ended up modifying one. Serving bean salad because beans are low on the glycemic index and help manage blood sugar levels. I try to sneak beans or lentils in whenever I can.

I prepped all the vegetables 12/23, except for the red onion. I have a good head start and there is a lot I can get the kids to help with. Christmas Eve the kids and I will handle everything. Jaime Sommers needs to stay off her feet and elevate. Christmas Day is on my spouse. She will be preparing the roast beast and roasted Brussels sprouts because that’s her thang. We’ll also have leftovers from the night before for 12/25 lunch and dinner apps. 

Lola’s Diner cc 2008-2018

1 comment:

Lolasdiner said...

Merry Christmas!
The herring never made it out. I made 100 mini meatballs. Other than the ones we tested after baking, all the rest went in the freezer and fridge. Many meals taken care of for the next couple weeks. I slept in...really in. I’m really paying for yesterday, so I’m laying low today. Spouse is handling all meal duties. Most of it is put in the oven and walk away, So in theory Jaime Sommers should be off her feet and elevating her knees. Still not a gift opened. Haven’t finished my first cup of cofffee yet. I feel hungover, but it’s not alcohol...it’s pain meds from last night.

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©