Recent Posts

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Review: Druid's Fluids Wine

Awhile back I was contacted by Troon Vineyard. They are an Oregon winery located in the Applegate Valley, in the southern part of the State. I can't tell you how excited I was when I got the email notifying me that the shipment was on it's way. I have to say though, I was a little nervous. I'm not a wine aficionado by any means. I'm not a fan of the Merlots and Pinot Noirs I've tried and was hoping I would get something I would enjoy. Troon Vineyard did not disappoint. They sent 2 bottle of 2007 Druid's Fluid Red Table Wine for my review.
According to their website, 'a long time local favorite of Troon Vineyard is Druid’s Fluid, which they call, "the wine for everyone". They are excited about getting the word out about this much beloved wine, and are aiming to place it in the hands of the people.'
According to the Technical Notes on the website:
"The Druid’s Fluid was first made in the 2000 vintage on accident due to a nitrogen deficiency in the soils that we had no way of predicting. Bottled upon the request of everyone who tasted our “mistake”, we have increased the production on each succeeding vintage yet it still sells out every year. A wine made for the people.

The Grape Variety/Origination is: 55% Merlot, 22% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Zinfandel, 7%
Syrah, 1% Other (Tempranillo, Tannat)- Applegate Valley

Winemakers Comments: Possibly the best Druid's Fluid released to date. Tons of fruit,
blackberry, currant, spice, plum, with a nice level of oak on the nose. The wine is dangerously easy to drink, ultra-smooth, and delectable.
Notes of chocolate mousse, raspberry, and mincemeat leap generously from the glass. Flavors are of cranberry and cassis.

Tasting Comments: Bright, red/black hue. Aromatics of fresh bing cherry. The slight sweetness is integrated well with alcohol and acid.
The traditional sweetness plays on the finish but is balanced by a definite tartness reminiscent of ripe pomegranate.

Druid's Fluid is 13.50% alcohol.
PH: 3.52
Total Acidity (g/L): 6.7.
The wine is aged for 7 months."

Being that I'm not a wine aficionado, you're not going to get from me 3 paragraphs about the color, the wine's opacity, acidity, balance, finish, etc. (I got all that technical jargon when I googled 'Wine tasting how to'.) That's why I went to their website to get the technicals on this wine from their Virtual Tasting Room. I know some of you may know a thing or two more than I do and can appreciate this information. I'm not going to pretend to know everything about wine. I don't.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this wine. I really like the fact that it is made of a blend of grape varieties, rather than just a single variety. It certainly makes me rethink my previous impression of the Merlot grape variety.

2007 Druid's Fluid is available on their website for $18 per bottle (2 bottle minimum purchase) plus shipping and handling.

Troon Vineyard also has other wines available and you can view those here.

Troon Vineyard also has a wine club called Cellar Dwellers that offers a 10% discount on wine and other discounts and perks.

You should know that when you do order wines shipped you need to allow the wine to rest for at least 2 weeks

Lola's Diner Disclaimer: I was given products to review. This review is 100% my opinion and has not been edited or reviewed by anyone. I was not compensated in any other way for this product review.


Lola's Diner
©2008-2010

3 comments:

Just call me Yankee said...

Stopping by from Comment Luv. I am like you, I know when I like a wine, but don't follow all the jargon that goes with it. I either like how it tastes or I don't. Glad you liked it and this gives me another place to try some wine from.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Druid's Fluid ... I just love that name! I would try this based on the name alone! :)

I'm not much of a wine drinker either, but like you, I tend to prefer blends. Will definitely look out for this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

StaceyC4 said...

I am definitely not a wine drinker but the other night I was out with a friend and we went to a place that was half coffee bar (downstairs) and a wine cellar (upstairs). The had a wine called "Bitch". I cracked up. I'm thinking of buying a bottle for my sister!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©