Recent Posts

Friday, March 20, 2020

The day before lockdown

Thursday was my test day. I did not leave home at all. Ehh, not a great day. A lot of anxiety. I normally have a lot of anxiety, but this was more than a smidge extra. Enough to have to use lavender oil to supplement my prescription.

I planned on going out today to get the last few things we need. I had bought a 3 pack of masks the last time my daughter had bronchitis, so I made use of the 2 remaining. One for me, one for my son, who is my shopping assistant. I also donned a pair of magic gloves because with my allergies I am always wiping my eyes or touching my face. Those gloves are rough, so 1 touch before I left the house and I had no problem remembering not to touch. I don’t give a rip what anyone thought about the 2 of us masked crusaders, on the lookout for my spouse’s cat’s canned food. Certain brand, flavor, and must be pate’. Queenie! We saw a lot more people with masks today, but they donned latex gloves. Eww! My palms are sweating just thinking about them. 

Before we left in the morning for the store I invoked the ‘speak now or forgetaboutit’, and no calling when I am IN the checkout lane to say ‘I just remembered, I need...’ I kid you not I get this call 9 times out of 10. If I’m not in the checkout lane, I just left it, or just got in the car. Today nothing was said until my son had put the groceries away. ‘We’re out of kitchen trash bags, did you get some?’ Was it on the list? Nope. Did u get it? Nope. Then, ‘We’re low on dishwashing soap...’ Same answers, so we had to don our masks and head to Jewel for one of the more ugly shopping trips...for just 2 items! Those items I never buy at Jewel so by the time we navigated through the crowds and found those 2 items almost an hour had passed. For the love of all that is holy, are you kidding me? Checkout lines were down the food aisles, the ones on the ends wrapped around to the store entrances. Somehow we got waved to a newly open lane. It took forever to buy 1 package of trash bags (the last one) and 1 bottle of dishwashing soap (also the last one). Everyone must have ran to Jewel after they heard that the governor was going to hold a news conference today.

So my daughter is an employee of a Critical Infrastructure Industry. She’s a bagger at a grocery store. ALL employees were handed letters that they were told to carry on their person on the way to and from work. It’s on company letterhead and signed by a Sr VP. The manager that handed it to my daughter called it her “ticket to work”.  As if my daughter wasn’t over the moon about having her hours doubled for the week starting Sunday, now she has a “ticket to work”. You would have thought she has the Golden Ticket in Willie Wonka. I could tell on the phone talking to her that she was beaming with pride. She really loves her job and the people she works with.

While I’m not thrilled that my daughter has to be out during this pandemic, her employer has hand sanitizer all over the work areas and managers do a walk through every hour to remind employees to use it at least once an hour. Working also keeps my daughter from thinking about what’s going on. She is a master ruminator. She is also not trapped in her group home with her housemates who are in various stages of decompensation. The bully is running hot/cold. Sometimes she’s bullying, others she’s very pleasant. At least 4 housemates are on shower refusal. And 2, this is really gross, are NOT wearing undergarments or outfits with pants. 

I try to avoid much of the news, but I caught a notification from CNN about a woman who lost her mother and 2 siblings to covid-19 and has additional family hospitalized, with only 1 in stable condition. Her family had a family dinner last month and apparently that was where they were all exposed. So very sad. 

Praying that somehow in some way the spread of the virus stops, and those who are ill are able to recover. 

Lola’s Diner cc.  2008-2020

No comments:

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©