Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Day 185, 186 of Sheltering In

Monday, Tuesday. Before PT Monday, we stopped at a local body shop to get another estimate for the keying, and a separate estimate for 2 scratches and the rear wheel opening where I sideswiped a post at the gas station when I got gas the first time.

1. Estimate by the shop my insurance recommended (also the shop that did an estimate on the Pilot for a new tailgate and bumper when they had already been replaced and I just wanted an estimate for the lock assembly.) Their estimate for ONLY the keying damage:  $130.00 Yes, one hundred thirty dollars.

2. Estimate from the shop recommended by our mechanic. Their estimate for ALL paint damage:  $1,074.35. (I need to go back and have them split it for the insurance company.)

3. Estimate from a shop recommended by our older couple friends. Their estimate for ONLY keying damage:  $2,587.47
Their estimate for the other damage:  $1,535.40
So total to repair costs from 3rd shop for all scratches, side swiping repair, including keying:  $4,122.87

I am completely gobsmacked. Estimate #1 is obviously a lowball estimate that would increase dramatically once work commenced. Estimate #3...are they gold plating part of my Buick? 

In other news, the AT&T corporate store I always go to sux donkey. I was there 3 times last week. I ordered an iPhone 7 for my wife, then my son will get her 6 and I can probably sell his 5 for $5. I talked to the guys at the store and told them I ordered it and they said bring it in when you get it and we’ll take care of transferring 6 to 7 and 5 to 6. We didn’t have a chance to go until Tuesday, today. Different guy told me the equipment that did the transfers was removed from the stores quite awhile ago and we need to go to an Apple store, or we could plug it in to our computer and download Google Photos and transfer everything ourselves. And where would I find detailed instructions for that? Who does that themselves? Seriously? I called the Apple store closest and got transferred to support. I was told that both Apple stores even remotely near us are so booked with appointments they aren’t taking any appointments now. I was told that Best Buy does what we need done and support booked an appointment at Best Buy a week from today. Why do I get the feeling that Best Buy doesn’t do this? Whatever happened to them sending a tech to your job or home and setting up your phone? I guess that only applies when you buy the most current, most expensive model. I think I will try calling that Best Buy location tomorrow.

Lola’s Diner cc.  2008-2020

1 comment:

songbird's crazy world said...

My carrier is Verizon.

When I bought my Google Pixel, it was delivered by mail, and I backed it up and set it up myself.

When I destroyed my iPad ... it was on my phone account and I had insurance, so the insurer sent me a replacement. Again, I did the back up and set up myself.

It wasn’t horribly difficult. It was a pain that I had to do it myself, but I managed.

But I think the days of the phone company setting up you phone for you are long gone, I think.

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©