Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Days 230-234 of Sheltering In Days 4-8 of Quarantine

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. It has been boring as all get out. I finished 2 books, and I’m near finishing a 3rd. (Ask me how I’m doing on Billy Idol’s memoir.) I’m not. I read a bit and decided to go for some mystery and other stuff.

I’m watching Wynonna Earp on Netflix. It was recommended to me by my ex-friend. She recommended it because it apparently has a lesbian relationship running through it. I’m into Season 2, Episode 1 and so far the previous episode had a kiss, that’s it. No dating, relationship, or sexy time. What it does have is a heck of a lot of gratuitous blood and gore. No worries, I don’t watch it until my son goes to bed. But I’m not into gratuitous blood and gore, nor violence. I’m wondering how far I’m going to have to endure this before a lesbian relationship is on screen. This series has 3 seasons on Netflix and I swear there is a 4th, but I’m going to have to hunt down where that is. The thing is, the main storyline is, weird. I’m talking supernatural weird. (By the way, why is it that so many books in the mystery genre involve the supernatural? I belong to 2 Kindle email book sources that have free Kindle books, or they are priced from $0.99-$2.99. Nearly every mystery, even the murder mysteries, and young adult fiction involve supernatural storylines.) Getting back to the movie, Wynonna, leather wearing, butch looking twenty-something, obviously a descendant of Wyatt Earp. His “special” pistol has been handed down to her and she is tasked with the responsibility of going in search of these “demons” that she apparently “let out of the triangle”. She works for a quasi-FBI/CIA person that gets leads on these “demons”. Each of the “demons” have their own eccentricities. One is a Jack the Ripper of sorts who seeks out a particular type of woman. He fancies himself to be a surgeon (he is not), and he performs “experimental” surgeries on them to “fix” them, but he never does. The series has yet to reveal what he seeks to “fix”, however, the surgeries are without anesthesia and involve considerable blood and gore. Wynonna uses Wyatt Earp’s special pistol (with magical powers) to permanently kill “demons”. Or send them back to the triangle. Not clear on that. While I have the series on, I read, that way I can take my attention from the blood and gore whilst I wait for the lesbian storyline.

So that is how I’ve spent my time in quarantine. That...and online shopping. Don’t judge me, I’m buying things I need and for my daughter’s upcoming move into an apartment. I’ve gotten really great deals, haven’t actually spent very much. Snagged an 11/04 online only Walmart deal. They got a great scam going. Sale starts at 7pm with very limited stock of some items. They run out by 7:05pm and tell you to come back at 7:30pm. I pounced at 7:30pm and got what I sought, checked out and I was told that I could pick it up this week. Today actually. šŸ¤·šŸ»‍♀️ I got what I went for. My wife was happy. Last night I decided to check Old Navy online again. I was frustrated because when I surfed last week they seemed to have only loungewear...jogger sweatpants. I already have those. I was looking for a pair of chinos, which I eventually found after really searching. They had a 30% off/50% off sale and I had rewards points that got me another almost $6 off. I didn’t go crazy...I found a pair of jeans. The only jeans I have now are skinny jeans which really aggravate my knees. I’ve been living in loungewear and track suits this entire pandemic, until I found a pair of navy chinos in a stack of folded laundry that fit great. Awesome! The blue chinos I had been wearing are a size too large and are so old that the seat of the pants had worn so thin that the fabric is tearing. That smaller pair came in handy because I was able to order the proper size. I also got 2 Christmas gifts on clearance. So I got 2 gifts, a pair of chinos and a pair of jeans for less than the regular price of the jeans. Not bad. I went digging in an old email account and found a bunch of gift card codes for a website I used to do reviews for. Guess what? I never used some of the codes. That site also had merch for 50% off and I also had rewards points to use. I ended up getting over $200 of merchandise for $6. I still have more gift card codes, but decided to just place the one order. I’ll be looking again another day. 

Before picking up the Walmart item I stopped at Pep Boy’s to have the battery I pre-ordered (but selected pay in store, thank goodness). They think women are really dumb. Nowhere on the webpage does it mention they charge extra for some installations. $157 to install a battery in the Buick ‘because the battery is under the rear passenger seat, you know Mam’. Yes, actually I do know. I research everything before I buy or have something repaired. I watched a YouTube video of a guy replacing the battery in the same car I have. I had enough of their disrespecting my car knowledge and trying to rip me off and I told them to cancel the order and walked out. I asked my wife to call our mechanic as I drove home (Apple CarPlay...safety first). When I got home he was on the phone with her and she passed me the phone. I told him what I was looking for and asked what he sells for the Buick (I had to replace the battery on the Odyssey before I sold it, just got the least expensive battery for that.) Told him I wanted the highest cranking amps and longest warranty battery that he could get for the Buick. He said he could do the top tier battery with a longer warranty for $50 less than Pep Boy’s, and he’ll only charge me $50 for installation. Awesome deal. I have an appointment Thursday to have it installed. I don’t “need” a battery right now, I’m being proactive. The battery I have now is 5 years old (2016 Buick “born” in 2015). I also need tires because the tires are dry rotted, and also 5 years old with at least 1 split in a sidewall. I’m working on figuring how to pay for new tires. Since the last time I bought tires in 2018 for the Pilot, the prices have doubled. After the battery is done we have to see when we can have the Pilot looked at. Serious steering issues. It’s either the power steering pump (not that expensive) or the rack and pinion (super expensive). If it’s the rack and pinion, the cost will be at or above the Pilot’s value. If it’s the pump we’ll have it done and take it to CarMax and get an offer, then shop around and see what we’d get in a trade-in. If nothing fits our budget we’ll sell it to CarMax. If it’s the other, we will have to call a junkyard (they will offer $100-$200 and tow it away.) šŸ˜«šŸ˜¢šŸ˜­ I will be crushed. I loved that Pilot. I have a new love now, the Buick, but my wife took over the Pilot and she loves it. I’m not looking forward to having car payments, but it’s hard to get by on 1 car with all the appointments we have. Living in an area with no public transportation either makes for scheduling headaches, or, buy a car for my wife. If it’s worst case, I told my wife we have to move quickly because the tags expire on the Pilot at the end of this month. We can set aside the money we spend on car insurance over the winter months and try to wait until the Spring to buy. Buying in Winter is not the best thing anyway, and this way we will have something put away to put as a down payment. 

Washer and dryer are still in the garage. I’ve been told that work will begin on the basement Tuesday. šŸ¤ž

So back to Wynonna Earp and the “Iron Goddess”Kindle book I got for free.

Lola’s Diner cc.  2008-2020

2 comments:

Lin said...

I'm almost done with Christmas shopping, believe ir or not. I have the time and money right now, plus inventory/stock is limited on so many things due to Covid supply chain issues and low inventory at stores. I'm not going into the stores anytime soon..and I am certainly not going to browse for Christmas crap.

I read Billy Idol's book and thought it was just okay. I read Richard Blade's book and enjoyed that more. He was an English major so his writing is his own and he tells some good stories. HATED Springsteen's memoirs---so long and boring.

Bev Sykes said...

Just a note. Basesd on a suggestion by Country Dew, I am changing the day I post Sunday Stealing questions to Friday instead of Saturday, so people have time to answer it on busy weekends.

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©