Recent Posts

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Sunday Stealing-Valentines Day

Valentine's Day

Hi! Our host is Bev Sykes of the blog "Funny the World". . Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. Cheers to all of us thieves!


Taken from ESL Conversations

  

1. What is the meaning of Valentine’s Day in your country/area? 

I’m in the United States, so here we do something nice for our sweetheart.

About St Valentine


What happens on this day?

We give a card and chocolates and/or flowers, and/or a gift to our sweetheart.


2. Is Valentine’s Day more for men or women? Explain your answer.

I would say it’s definitely for women, however, it can be a good way to get in the Mrs. good graces by taking the day to show how much you care for them.


3. Do you have any special plans for Valentine’s Day? What will you do?

My wife and I agreed early in our relationship no flowers on the 2 holidays where flowers are 50% or more, expensive than the rest of the year. The other holiday being Sweetest Day in October. We usually have a nice lunch or dinner out. Due to the pandemic we will be cooking at home something we don’t usually have, to celebrate.


4. Which traditional gift would you rather receive: chocolates, flowers, or a card with a personal message?

A personal message.  We skip the flowers and opt to buy flowers we can plant and enjoy in the Spring.


5. Is Valentine’s Day only about romantic love? Or is it a good occasion to celebrate friendship as well?

I don’t believe it’s only about romantic love. I get my kids something. In grade school we got a cigar box from our Dad and decorated it for Valentines Day and exchanged cards with our entire class. (Unless you were me in the 4th grade. My fabulously decorated cigar box contained one card with a special note from my teacher because all of my classmates were ashhats. I was a chubby kid, I really don’t know if that was why the kids in my class didn’t give me any cards. I don’t really care. Perhaps one of the ashhats removed cards from my box. Again, don’t care. That note from my teacher meant more to me than any stupid card from a classmate. I’ve always remembered her as my favorite teacher. She paid attention to what happened in her class. I can’t say any of my other teachers over the years would have done so.


6. Do you like romantic movies? What is your favorite romantic movie?

I have 2 favorite romantic movies. The classic 

“Casablanca”, and “When Harry Met Sally”.


7. Have you ever received a Valentine’s Day card or gift from a secret admirer? How did it make you feel?

Nope.


8. Is Valentine’s Day the most romantic day of the year? If not, what day is?

Nope. I think it’s our wedding day. Being gay and being able to get married, all the thought and planning that we put into every detail of our wedding. All the flowers! The bagpiper! The DJ! The friends! The family! (my wife’s family, now my only family because my sister, aunts, uncles are asshats because they couldn’t find a way to attend.)


9. What is the most romantic thing you have done for another person?

I don’t think I could pick just one. 


10. Valentine’s Day is promoted by companies whose only interest is making money. Discuss whether you agree or disagree.

Of course they are interested in making money. That’s what businesses do...or they go out of business.


11. Describe your perfect Valentine’s Day date.

It’s with my wife of course.


12. How should a single person spend Valentine’s Day? What do you suggest?

Make a date with someone you know, maybe you’re already dating. If you don’t have someone that you’re dating you could do 1 of 2 things. 

1. Find a someone you think you’d be interested in on a dating website. Match.Com, PlentyOfFish.Com, OkCupid.Com. (I won’t recommend the one that starts with an “e” because I don’t like how they treated lgbtq people in the early 2000’s.) Make a date. Casual. Maybe lunch instead of dinner. For heaven’s sake don’t bring flowers! That is the absolute kiss of death on any first date. (At least in my experience.)

2. Make a date with YOURSELF! Do something nice for yourself. Get a new outfit, or maybe something you’ve been wanting. Get takeout from your favorite restaurant. Find a good movie to stream. Or a favorite movie. It doesn’t have to be, or maybe shouldn’t be a romantic movie, depending on how you feel.


13. Do you enjoy playing cupid? Do you try to introduce people in the hope they will make a love match?

It just now occurred to me that I have played Cupid. I set up my ex best friend with my future sister-in-law. They are still together.

 

14. Some restaurants charge higher prices on Valentine’s Day. Are you willing to pay more to dine out on this day?

I think it’s only ok to charge more on Valentines Day if they have a special menu. Otherwise, no. No, I would rather dine out on a day the week before or after Valentines Day. I won’t necessarily save money, but I may be able to afford a more expensive “special” dinner. Besides, restaurants are much too crowded ON Valentines Day. 


15. Is a romantic gesture more powerful on Valentine’s Day or on another day of the year?

I would say no because romantic gestures can be any day. In fact I think they are more powerful and meaningful if it’s just any regular day of the year. You have to get creative to do a romantic gesture on any other day of the year.


Lola’s Diner cc.  2008-2021

5 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I was one of those fat kids who got almost no valentines too. It was better when they insisted that you get a valentine for EVERYONE.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

That's ridiculous about your family and your wedding... My sister and her wife had a black tie wedding. So not only was it our families first gay wedding, but we had to rent tuxes & women bought gowns. EVERYONe came on both sides! It was 2012, the same year I got married. Mine ended a year ago. Theirs is still very strong...

CountryDew said...

I am sorry you received no valentines but grateful your teacher was paying attention. Also I loved your last answer.

Lori said...

I am so sorry about your family not attending your wedding. It is their loss.
How terrible to not give everyone a Valentine in school. Why would anyone do that? That hurts my heart. Loved your answers! Have a very happy Valentine's day!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Jodi said...

That is awful about your wedding.. that is on them! I hope you have a great day yesterday!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©