Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Tuesday 4-Valentines Day

Valentine's Day













Welcome to Tuesday 4. I am sure  Toni would be so pleased you are here. Let's talk about St. Valentine's Day.

1. St Valentine paid for the weddings of poor girls. Today weddings can cost a fortune. What do you think about wedding expenses? 

I never heard that about St. Valentine. I think wedding costs are outrageous. I’ve been married twice. I paid for the first wedding...florist, professional photographer, we used a store that specialized in wedding cakes, rented a wishing well for cards. I cut costs where I could and we had the reception at a bowling alley banquet room in my hometown. I will never live that one down. I was razzed for years about the venue. My 2nd wedding I paid for everything but the dinner. My father-in-law surprised us and paid the bill. Having learned from my previous mistake, I found other ways to cut costs. No real flowers, silk. My wife’s cousin made beautiful bouquets, boutonnières, table arrangements, and flower arrangements for the gazebo. She worked at a craft store and used her discount. She also gave us a DJ referral who gave us a discount. The bagpiper, that was my surprise for my wife, wedding party, and guests wasn’t as expensive as you would think. I had my sister-in-law (professional photographer, who didn’t do weddings but did ours as a favor) and my ex-partner were our photographers. My sister-in-law’s son was videographer. The ceremony was outdoors at a Park Conservatory with beautiful grounds and a gazebo. The reception was in the banquet hall of a local restaurant. I made a very retro secure card holder from a vintage suitcase. Our wedding cake was made by the mother of my wife’s friend who retired from making wedding cakes. The 2nd wedding was better than the 1st where I basically hired all professionals. People don’t need to spend over $20,000 for a wedding. It doesn’t make you any more or less married because of the amount of money you spend on a wedding.

2. Do you or did you send Valentines to people?

Send...no. I usually make a Valentines card for my wife and sometimes for my kids.

3. Do you find Valentine's day to be romantic?

Usually. One year on Valentines Day I had a date from hell. My date brought her girlfriend (friend) and my date talked about her ex and cried through the entire dinner. I don’t need a specific day to be romantic, I don’t think anyone does.

4. Do you do anything special for Valentine's Day with partners or family?

Of course. Every year it’s something a little different. In the past we have had an early dinner at a nice restaurant, or I’ve cooked something delicious that we don’t usually have the rest of the year. This year, due to the pandemic, we will be cooking something delicious at home. Not sure yet what the menu will be. I usually make my son dinner and have him eat first so my wife and I can dine alone while he goes upstairs and watches tv or plays video games. With the pandemic now, that’s the only way to safely have a romantic dinner for two. Hopefully I won’t have a horrible pain day like I did Saturday. I was getting out of bed and moved my injured leg wrong. (Torn meniscus, sprained LCL.) I tweaked something in my back and flared my sciatica, which went all the way to my ankle. Pain like the most intense charley horse you could ever have, that is constant and only relieved by a muscle relaxant and ice and time.

Happy Valentine's Day folks.


5 comments:

Lori said...

I agree with you on #1 and your wedding sounds so lovely and done with heart because it was done by friends and family. That is awesome. Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Stacy said...

I'm with you on the wedding costs. We did our daughters wedding a few years ago for a fraction of what she wanted us to shell out for and she was thrilled with the end result. I wish we had thought about secure card boxes and such...I can't believe how much stuff just "disappeared." The only people there were the kids' family members and a few friends. You hate to try to imagine which of them were also thieves.

Jodi said...

Enjoyed your responses. Happy Tuesday

Lolasdiner said...

Sorry to hear about the stuff disappearing. That’s awful. I don’t know where you had the reception, but if it at a venue, it could have been staff or other patrons in the building. That’s what we were concerned about because it was a restaurant with a banquet hall and there was a door to outside in the banquet hall. And there was the restaurant and the bar. I had to laugh when we were packing up the car after the reception. It took 2 guys to carry out the card (suitcase) because we weighted it down with bricks so 1 person couldn’t walk out with it. If 2 tried they would have been immediately caught.

2 gators said...

I paid for my first wedding (was the whole big wedding) 2nd wedding like you I cut corners. Gator and I 3rd marriage spent very little on our wedding and had our reception at the club where we hung out at. so very sorry your things went missing. I had my first bridal shower at the bowling alley where I bowled at nothing wrong with that.

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©