Recent Posts

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Sunday Stealing-Blog Challenge

March 18, 2021

Blog Challenge 


 
Hi! Our host is Bev Sykes of the blog "Funny the World". . Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. Cheers to all of us thieves!

 
 
 
 

1. What was an unforgettable day in your life?
My 2nd wedding. I hired a bagpiper to play at the ceremony. (No one knew until he showed up. Everyone, including my bride to be was surprised.) He played the wedding party down from the arbor to the gazebo. My boss’s daughter sang Sarah Barellis “I Choose You” after the Reverend said a few words. Then at the end the bagpiper played a different song as we walked out. My father-in-law gave a speech where he said “You’re one of us now”. Then EVERYONE at the reception chanted “One of us. One of us.” Over and over. (None of my extended family attended.) After the meal I danced all night with my kids, mostly my son. I danced with my wife for the first dance. (This was 2 years before my car accident, so dancing was not a problem...other than I really never danced at weddings. Lol!) The dancing kept my kids occupied because they didn’t know very many people, and it kept me from ruminating about the fact that no extended family on my side attended. I only drank champagne for the toasts. The dancing kept me away from the bar. I was a bit concerned I might get drunk and stupid...cuz only my kids were there, but the dancing kept my mind off the lack of attendance.

2. What are your favorite snacks?
It used to be any chocolate, potato chips, Cheetos. Now it’s dark chocolate because it’s lower in sugar, popcorn because it’s healthier. I ate pork rinds then switched to popcorn. Now I can’t even look at a pork rind.

3. What is your biggest fashion accessory?
My favorite is my Citizen watch. It’s the man’s version (the women’s model looked silly on my wrist). My wife and I got the watches as wedding gifts to each other.

4. What is your biggest celebrity crush?
I don’t really crush on celebrities.

5. Name one hobby you would like to learn.
I would love to golf. I know how and have my own clubs and shoes. Because of my back and shoulders, and currently my torn meniscus and sprained LCL I can’t. Maybe when my knee heals I can figure out a modified swing that I can manage. Otherwise I’ll be limited to Putt Putt Golf.

6. What are your OCD habits?
I don’t like my food touching on my plate. If it touches it’s not a big deal, I’d just rather it didn’t. I also usually eat one food at a time until that food is finished, instead of varying what I eat. I also save my favorite for last.  

7. What would you like to eat if you knew it was your last meal?
Sushi.

8. Are you working on your fitness?
Seriously? There’s not much I can do because of my torn meniscus, sprained LCL, bad shoulders, and bad back. I currently go to physical therapy 3 times a week. So technically I am getting exercise. I’m also workin on my guns. 💪 I can manage some exercises with weights that don’t aggravate my shoulders.

9. What do you spend money on?
Oh shoot! I’m busted! I read a lot because I can’t seem to find anything I’d like that I haven’t seen before on the streaming services. I’ve read 80 days in a row according to the Kindle Reading Challenge. I spend a lot on Kindle Books. What’s a lot? I added up what I’ve spent since 01/01/2021. Keep in mind that I did have some Amazon gift cards...I spent $157 on Kindle books since the first of this year. (Of that amount, I spent $105 in February!) Isn’t that amount ridiculous? I added it up because I was contemplating paying for Kindle Unlimited. A couple of the authors I read don’t offer their books on Kindle Unlimited. Still, I think I’d save a lot of money even if I bought the occasional Kindle Book. No, the library is not an option because they don’t carry the genre I read.

10. What is your favorite recipe?
I cook so many different cuisines that it’s hard to pick. I do really like Char Siu. It’s the barbecued pork appetizer Chinese restaurants have. I love my Mom’s pasta sauce recipe, but I don’t really eat pasta anymore (diabetic=limit carbs). I hate zoodles. Occasionally I sub bean sprouts for pasta.

11. What is the best part of each season?
Spring-I love planning my vegetable garden, and my flower boxes. I have my son do the dirty work. I can’t wait for my Lilac bushes and Bearded Irises bloom.
Summer-Shorts season! Cargo shorts! Sure you can wear them in the Spring and Fall, but they are kind of mandatory in Summer.
Fall-The cooler weather (I love hoodie season!), and the leaves changing color.
Winter-I do enjoy the colder weather, but not really below 40°. 

12. What is a life lesson you've learned?
Making friends as an adult is nearly impossible. No one believes me when I say I have no friends. It’s actually true if you’re not counting my wife and kids. I don’t count my wife’s friends as my friends because they are not. Sure, they’re pleasant to me, but they don’t really engage me in conversation when I’m with my wife (usually sitting on our porch), and I’m not included when they go out to lunch with my wife. When this comes up my wife insists her friends are my friends too. But they are not. I wasn’t invited to the bachelorette party before our wedding. I’m a female too, why wasn’t I included? Because they don’t consider me to be their friend. I don’t work, so no work friends. At my last job my coworkers were all haters and quite nasty to me. 

13. What is your inspiration to blog?
I blog because it was something to do, and early on it was an outlet to educate people about LGBT people. (This was before gay marriage became legal.) It also was a way to educate people about mental health, and get a much needed respite when my kids were hospitalized. I also got free products and books to review and had a regular advertiser. Since Entrecard (which was a great way to get new readers) discontinued, I don't have many readers, except for Sunday Stealing. 

14. What’s inside your closet?
Clothing, shoes (sneakers, dress shoes, motorcycle boots), boxes. Cookbooks are on the shelves because I have no space elsewhere for them.

15. What can you brag about?
My daughter. She’s had over 26 hospitalizations due to her mental illness. She lives in a group home. Initially she lived on the 1st floor. After about 2 years she was moved to the 2nd floor for residents who are capable of being more independent. Before the pandemic she worked part time as a bagger at a grocery store. She initially went on medical leave because she has uncontrolled asthma. It got to be too long, so she lost her job, but was told she could reapply when it was safe for her and they’d love to have her back. She was very well liked by coworkers as well as supervisors and managers. My daughter will be moving out of the group home and moving into an apartment complex run by the same organization. It’s a brand new complex, fully completed, but they haven’t notified us when she can move in. I think they may be delaying due to the pandemic. My daughter did get a tour and can’t wait!

Lola’s Diner cc.  2008-2021




3 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

You are so proud of your daughter! Sounds like she’s had to overcome a lot.

Lisa said...

Wow - I know you are proud of your daughter!!!

Bev Sykes said...

I loved your answer to #1. It sounds like a beautiful wedding. A shame your family wouldn't attend.

I really identify with #12. I have no friends either. Lots of acquaintances, but my only friend lives a 1-1/2 hr drive from here so I almost never see her. We stay in touch by email and Facebook, but she doesn't write much.

Obviously I understand your expenses on Kindle! If I do nothing from now until I die but sit and read the books I've bought, I'll never finish them. But I still buy more.

Congratulations on your daughter. I can see why you are proud of her!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©