Recent Posts

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Sunday Stealing-Senior Life

Senior Life  

Funny the World". . Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. Cheers to all of us thieves!

1. What is the farthest you have ever travelled?

California. I went there to pickup my then husband after he had a psychotic break while he was there for job training.

2. Who did you date while in high school?

No one.

3. What is one of the worst trips you've ever taken? What went wrong?

In the ‘80’s my sister and I drove to Florida during the rainy season. We drove my car and were supposed to share the driving. Because she’s a wuss, I had to drive through Georgia to Florida with no break. The rain in Georgia was like a sheet of water. If I drove 15mph that was a lot. I did pull over a couple of times to calm my nerves and unclench my fingers from my steering wheel.

4. How do you like to spend a lazy day?

I was streaming series and movies, but I’ve hit the wall because I’m having difficulty finding something to watch that I am interested in, and haven’t watched before. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max (“Tom & Jerry” was awful.) I’ve been reading now instead. I’ve read 59 days in a row. (I signed up for the Kindle Reading Challenge and it keeps track of the days I’ve read.)

5. How old were you when you found out that JFK had been assassinated? How did it affect you?

I was 2 years old when JFK was assassinated. I probably found out in high school. I also read Stephen King’s “11/22/63”, and watched the series with James Franco. It was meant to be a continuing series, but it never got any further than the one series.

6. Who has been one of the most important people in your life?

My Mom. She was always there for me. She passed away suddenly in 1984. I miss her very much.

7. What is one trait you would most like to improve in yourself?

Interrupting people. I wasn’t always like this. In my school years it wasn’t an issue because I kept to myself. When I came out I joined a couple of gay social groups and made some friends. Then because the woman I was dating in the group broke up with me, she got the group and everyone in it and I got 1 friend, who I later found out was still in the group. She’s engaged to my sister-in-law. We aren’t friends anymore, but she does chat me up on Messenger sometimes. Yesterday it was to ask me what my daughter needs for her apartment when she moves in. (She’s been living in a group home and has been deemed independent enough to get one of the brand new apartments not far from me. There will be staff living in the premises. Kind of like a landlord, but they are trained staff.) So, the point of all this background story is the best way I can explain why I do this now. I have no friends, so when I do have the rare opportunity to talk to someone I just can’t seem to wait for my turn. Another factor is my poor short term memory. I interrupt because I’m afraid I’m going to forget what I was going to say. It sux. My wife hates this habit. I’m trying to do better.

8. Did you date someone in college?

Nope. I didn’t date until I was 28. I chalk it up to being confused. Guys just didn’t ask me out, because I guess they knew I was gay. I wasn’t sure what was up with me and I didn’t know any lesbians that I could even just talk to about it. Once I came out at about the age of 39 I dated like crazy. I was definitely trying to make up for lost time. Lol!

9. What was your dream car?

When I was in high school it was a Pontiac Trans Am with T-Tops.

10. Did you have a family member you wish you'd gotten to know better?

Other than my parents, no one else. A couple of years before my 2nd wedding I made an effort to reach out to family on my Mom’s side. They lived out of state. The conversations were stilted, and full of uncomfortable silences. The year I got engaged I called 1 aunt who conferenced in another aunt. The older one didn’t say much, not even congratulations. The younger one was very happy for us and congratulated us. Neither attended my wedding.

11. Tell me about your greatest gardening success.   

It would probably be the year I planted sunflower seeds. I really don’t think you can screw those up. They grew like crazy to about 10 feet tall. I try to grow vegetables every year, but I’m not very successful.

12. What was your Dad like when you were a child?

He was a great Dad. He taught me how to ride a bicycle. He also made me his assistant in the garage when he worked on his car. I handed him tools and put them away when he was done with them.

13. What is the best job you've ever had?

The first time I worked for the real estate company. When I worked at the suburban location I was always treated with respect and they were good with raises and promotions. When I worked the downtown location years later it was terrible. I was disrespected, they low balled my salary when I started and then the raises were terrible.

14. What are your favourite songs?

Just about anything from the ‘70’s and ‘80’s.

15. If you could choose any talents to have, what would they be?

I would really like to play guitar. Maybe when I’m done with my reading, I’ll teach myself.

Lola’s Diner cc.  2008-2021

4 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

If you haven't seen them, you might try the series by Harlan Coben on Netflix. Pretty good stories. I think there are 3 series. Also, I'm currently watching "Away" which is very good.

Susan said...

It is sad that your family did not come to your wedding. I am glad you had a good relationship with your dad! I love 70's music too!

Lori said...

I wish I could play guitar too. Loved your answers!
Have a nice day!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

CountryDew said...

You can teach yourself guitar. Lots of videos on youtube to help you along. Go for it!

 
Lola's Diner Was recently updated by by CreativeBlogMe.com copyright 2009 ©